Bonsai.io (a company of One More Cloud, Inc), is an expert technology firm specializing in crafted search solutions for communities and businesses across the world. Our core product is Bonsai, the world’s most reliable managed Elasticsearch platform designed to help teams deliver amazing search experiences for their users.The Platform Engineer writes code that bridges the gap between software and hardware and tests the system so that it runs effectively and smoothly, and is responsible for the design, automation, and maintenance of the company platform environment. This position will work closely with the other core team members to build, test, automate, scale, maintain, troubleshoot, and support the company’s high-scale platform for managed search.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The requirements listed below are representative of the essential duties and responsibilities required.
- Design and implementation of automation and monitoring tools to reduce toil and improve the overall stability of the service.
- Monitor and respond to any failures or strains on servers running Elasticsearch and other software deployed and resolve all issues in a timely and efficient manner.
- Manage cloud service costs.
- Identify areas for process and efficiency improvement within platform operations; recommend solutions and assist in overseeing implementation.
- Ensure all necessary operational processes and procedures are carried out with a high level of attention to detail and accuracy.
- Design and implement the platform infrastructure that allows development teams to deploy and run their services flawlessly.
- Handle operations alerts and be the escalation contact for service incidents including on call hours.
- Remain updated on technical and professional knowledge by attending educational workshops, joining professional associations, building networks with fellow professionals, and reviewing of industry publications.
- Perform all other duties and tasks as assigned.
Experience and Education
- 3-5 years of experience developing / testing large cloud-based web applications.
- Experience in working with databases: MySQL, Postgres. Well versed with NewRelic / App Dynamics, Kibana and Grafana. Familiarity with Linux and command line tools.
- Knack for problem solving, debugging and data sleuthing.
- Optional: Experience or understanding of consuming or implementing Search.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, mathematics, OR 4 years equivalent experience in a related field preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrates a sound working knowledge of current role and the technical systems, applications and equipment used in performing this role, and understands the impact this role has on other business functions within the organization.
- The ability to write and speak effectively using appropriate convention based on the situation; actively listens to others, asks questions to verify understanding.
- Demonstrates the utmost level of integrity in all instances and shows respect towards others and towards company principles.
- Shares key information with others involved in a project or effort, works in harmony to accomplish objectives, responds with enthusiasm to directives, and shows support for departmental and organizational decisions.
- Sets high standards and measures of excellence to ensure quality assurance in every aspect of work performed.
- Takes personal responsibility and ownership for adhering to all company policies and procedures while also completing work timely and in accordance with performance expectations.
- Follows detailed procedures to ensure accuracy in the entry and reporting of data.
- Identifies and resolves issues timely by gathering and analyzing information skillfully.
Physical Demand and Work Environment
- Employee’s primary workspace will be their home, or rented office space if they choose but does require occasionally going into the office.
- Must be able to sit or stand at a desk for up to eight hours a day.
- Requires use of hands for typing and use of computer.Ability to view computer screen for up to eight hours a day.
- Occasional bending, stooping, squatting, and ability to lift up to 20 lbs.
- OMC’s physical office in Austin that the Office Manager maintains is well-lighted, heated and/or air-conditioned indoor office setting with adequate ventilation.
- Moderate noise. (examples: business office with computers and printers, light traffic).
- Full time 40 hours per week, 8 hours per day.
- On-call rotation (varies)
The purpose of this position description is to serve as a general summary and overview of the major duties and responsibilities of the job. It is not intended to represent the entirety of the job nor is it intended to be all-inclusive. Therefore, the position may be required or requested to perform One More Cloud other work duties not specifically listed herein. Management reserves the right to modify, defer or rescind this position description at any time, with or without prior notice. Bonsai.io is an Equal Opportunity Employer in compliance of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).